Saturday, February 7, 2009

Cradle of mankind

Despite being rather ill, we ventured out today to the National Museum here in Nairobi. It was a very interesting day, and we ended up spending 4 hours there, without realizing. The truth is I realized, I was pretty tired and sore at the end. I posted another album on my blog showing the beauty of the museum grounds, and the interesting fossils and history and artwork they feature there. It was very interesting learning and seeing early man's fossils, replicas of African animals and learning about traditional Kenyan customs/paraphernalia. When we got home, Barclay, the med student from upstairs, who has been checking in on me and my annoying illness, said he and 2 other doctors yesterday were discussing my symptoms and have narrowed my diagnosis to three possibilities, all of which are viral and untreatable, except rest and fluids. 1. Aseptic meningitis (not the fatal kind of meningitis - apparently not a scary diagnosis, but it sounds scary to me), 2. encephalitis (again, apparently not the scary kind) or 3. viral chikungunya (from mosquitos). Either way, I should be feeling better in a few days, and its not a big concern, and does not require medical attention. I should have know he thought it was something more than the flu when he was checking in on me a few times a day, and giving me lots of attention. How convenient to have free diagnosis by tropical disease doctors! I feel lucky, and blessed that this is what i'm ill with, and not malaria, or something serious. Pray for me if you wouldn't mind. My thoughts and prayers are with you each of you also. Later.....

2 comments:

  1. I hop you sleep well Norah! It's good to hear you are enjoying your trip to Africa! Take care of your self and seriously, sleep in a tent/netted bed. - Alvil Tayco

    ReplyDelete
  2. The photos are great! I hope you are feeling better!!

    erin

    ReplyDelete