And by nut, I mean Nutritionist.....
The saying goes "good things come to those who wait," and its true in Africa. I must admit, I was starting to feel anxious after the first 2-3 weeks of volunteering between two clinics, and trying to develop a project for myself. I think it was in part, the language barrier, perhaps I had ambitious expectations, and I also think that in any workplace or new endeavour, you first have to learn about how the system works, assess how you will fit into the system and earn trust and respect in order to fit into the system. Anyone who has recently started a new job, will understand exactly what I am talking about. I guess I was anxious to jump right in and start being a Nutritionist as I am back in Canada. Now, after being here for almost 6 weeks, I have deeper insight into the complexities of the way health care is delivered in Kenya, how office dyamics play a big part in the workplace, and most importantly what are the key nutrition issues that I can have an affect on during my short time here. I am feeling like one of the team at the Majengo Clinic, thanks to time, humor and the staff finally having a general understanding of what I can offer. As I mentioned earlier in my blogs, I was invited to present on nutrition to the AntiRetro Viral patient's Get-together (called Baraza) which happened last Saturday,

Valentine's Day. It was an incredible day, where I not only got tonnes more exposure at the clinic, but also earned the respect of the patients and I think the staff. It was a fun present

ation, that in my style was supposed to be 20 mins, turned into 45 mins, because everyone wanted to ask questions and partake. I asked for volunteers to demonstrate nutrients in Kenyan traditional foods, sugar content of common sodas consumed here, and alternatives to junky convenience food sold by street vendors. It was a hit. There were patients at the back of the tent standing to see what I was doing, and I even had a patient call me on Sunday to thank me for the presentation. What a difference it has made in the clinic also, now there are patients who not only recognize me, but know my name, and have come up for individual counseling on certain nutrition issues. I've been seeing patients individually this week because of this, and the staff are also referring patients they screen with nutrition issues. Its hard for me to fully explain how drastically different this is from the first few weeks that I was here, but just imagine me, listening to hours of untranslated Swahili and counting pills in the pharmacy to feel like I was helping in some way. Also, I've realized that there are always a few in a crowd who know enough english to translate for the others, and with the few words I know in Swahili, and the art of miming, I can get nutrition information across. So every morning I've been picking a topic and sitting in the waiting room with the woman to try to do a facilitated discussion. Its been going really well. Today I even had a woman basically 2 way interpret the whole discussion for her friends without being asked.
On a separate but also fulfilling note, I had a chance encounter with an endearing Kenyan man today, where I basically counseled him to get HIV testing done, information regarding HIV transmission and treatment options. It was at my new tailor actually. So, the other day I went out into the overwhelming and intimidating market to buy a pair of jeans. I did not bring any jeans with me and very little long pants, and the nights are cold here, so I was on a mission to get some. I ended up bartering the guy down to about $13 Canadian for what I found out later was actually new, factory defect H & M brand jeans. They were a bit too long, so I stopped off in the small shack kiosk just on the same road as my flats to talk to the guy with the sewing machine. I discovered that we in Canada are fools for paying and waiting for a simple hem job. I paid the equivalent of $1 for an on the spot hem that looks better than any Stitch It could have ever done. On the SPOT! It was done in less than 5 mins. I actually asked the guy when I should pick it up, I suggested the next day?? and he had a funny look on his face, so I said, next week? and he said, sit down and I'll do it now for you while you wait. While I waited, I think I convinced his friend in the shop to go get tested and learn more about his status.
All in all, I feel like I've begun makin a difference, even if its just in a small way.
Oh Norah I am so proud. Your are inspiration. Great job
ReplyDelete