Friday, January 23, 2009

Walk the walk, talk the talk.

I seem to always be the bearer of bad nutrition news where ever I go, to those who think its simple to feed a crowd with chips and soda, well not while I'm around. Like I mentioned before, the staff at Majengo have really welcomed me in and are making me feel like part of the team. They are planning a "Mini Baraza" which I gather means a meeting for 200 patients at their clinic that are on ARV's. Its supposed to be a chance for the patients to learn about ARVs and discuss their personal issues with adherence to the drugs. The staff has invited me to present on nutrition for 20 min and answer questions with one nurse interpreting for me. Finally, and interpreter!! What a novelty. Actually the Majengo staff have not only been speaking lots of english to me, but they have also taken to helping me learn Kiswahili, which is fun and useful. They all say I have a natural ear for it, but really I have a book I bought at Chapters and the language appears to be prounced just as its read, I like learning languages, maybe I'll give up on french and go head on for Kiswahili. Anyways, they had submitted a budget to the office for providing food and refreshments for the 200 patients that included only soda and pastries, after I was through explaining that they couldn't possible ask me to speak on nutrition and then feed people junk, they all overwhelming agreed, like they had never thought of it. The whole staff group brainstormed excitedly and we came up with serving boiled eggs, porridge and banana with Kenyan tea, and it ended up being cheaper than the junk! A real success in my eyes. They all laughed so hard and seemed so excited that I was promoting nutrition, it was fun to be a part of. I also met the district manager of the Nutritionists in Nairobi, who was also very interested in meeting with me soon to talk about dietetics and projects they are working on. Its amazing after only 2 weeks to be making connections both personally and professionally, the two weeks has really flown by. The other funny thing that has happened at the clinic this week is I gave 2 community leaders from the surrounding area a small change purse with the Canada flag on it that I bought at the dollar store back home. When the head nurse at the clinic saw what I gave she made a huge fuss, and soon everyone in the office was badgering me for a Canada item. I brought some bracelets, beach balls, pencils and cloth bags with me, and they attacked me today and it was all gone in minutes when I opened my bag today. I never in a million years thought grown woman would be so excited about dollar store items, but they were elated. I had initally brought that stuff to give out to children I met along the way, maybe Morgan will have to stock me up again when he come in March. It was fun to see their excitement, which was the point of the Canada paraphanilia. They more than payed me back when they took me out for lunch today and I ate all sorts of different traditional Kenyan foods today, like Ugali, Kengeki, and Nyama Choma. Again, lots and lots of meat, I sure will have rich blood by the time I get home and a full heart.

2 comments:

  1. Wow you really seem to be fitting in, in such a short amount of time. Not that it surprises me. You have such a big heart for people. God bless you Hugs Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite post so far!! I'm glad to hear about your successes and experiences.

    Erin

    ReplyDelete