Sunday, January 11, 2009
JAMBO! (Hi in Swahili)
Well, I've only been here 1 full day, but already I can tell this is going to be a great experience. Its a pretty nice place, a bit rustic, sorta like a cabin in southern SK lake or something. I arrived and no one was home, but in another flat was a Canadian named Catherine, who had the key to my flat. She let me in and showed me my room, and assured me I could eat/drink whatever of Janice's I wanted. Then she left, and I was alone to explore my surroundings, get my bearings and crash, as 26 hours was a long time to be either sitting or standing.
When I woke up the first morning, after a great long uninterrupted sleep, I could hear Janice was home from her night of dancing. Catherine had warned me last night that she was out partying on her last night in Nairobi and wouldn't be home until breakfast.
I got up to say hello, and a friendly smile greeted me. "Do you know where anything is around here, or do you need me to help you find a grocery store" she chimed....an answer to my prayer really. After a short nap, she was ready to take me out and show me the ropes. Her sister Laina is here as well, both from Winnipeg, and our first stop was a hostel that has internet for cheap. At the hostel we met a girl from New Zealand who had just arrived in Nairobi last night as well. Her name was Iona. She shyly asked us if we knew where any grocery stores were in the neighbourhood, and Janice invited her to join us, much like the wizard of oz, our group was growing by the minute, and we were off on an adventure.
We walked a short bit to a Matatu stand (sort of like the local transit system of passenger vans, packed to the brim and blasting loud music). We caught the first one, and piled in quickly with other locals.
It wasn't far to the Nakumat (grocery store) which was 3 stories high and very modern looking. I always say that you should never grocery shop when you are hungry, but I hadn't eaten in over 18 hours, except for a few granola bars, and so I was desperate for some sustenance. I stood at the counter for a ready to eat samosa, when Laina mentioned that sometimes the meat samosa's in the rural areas have mystery meat in them, sometimes dog even. Needless to say I got a veggie samosa and just about swallowed it whole I was so famished. The grocery store has every thing you could ever need, in fact, all the choices of any Canadian supermarket, and lots of local foods as well. I also got a SIM card for the cell phone I brought from Canada, although Janice warned me that it was likely locked, stupid Rogers. Indeed it was, when I got home to try it out. I guess I'll have to splurge the 2,400 shillings ($35) to get a cheap cell phone or mobile as they call them here, the airtime scratch cards you buy are pretty cheap and I know mom would be happy to have a number to contact me at. Everyone has mobiles here, even the poorest people, it seems to be the norm.
The rest of the night was spent at the flat, making dinner, watching a movie on my laptop and drinking wine, yes I'm sure roughing it. Today we're sitting at a local cafe, a beautiful spot actually with rich vegetation and umbrella'd tables where the wireless is free if you buy a delicious coffee. Mmmm double esspresso milkshake, I sure like it here!
We're off for an adventure to walk 30 mins to the Massai Market, where Laina hopes to get some local trinkets to take back to Canada for gifts. Janice flew out last night, and Laina leaves Monday night. Then I think I'll be joined by another Winnipeger Rhiane on Tues.
The med students from flat #5 have already promised that I can tag along with them to the Hospital on Monday to meet up with the administrators of the clinics and start volunteeering. I have no idea what to expect, but after meeting all these gracious and generous people so far, I am not worried one bit.
Until later........
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Sounds exciting Norah!! I look forward to reading more!
ReplyDeleteWow! I can't wait to see more pictures and hear more. You are an amazing person going on an adventure like this and you should be very proud of yourself! Thinking about ya...
ReplyDelete