Friday, January 23, 2009

The poor get poorer!

Yesterday was a surprising sight for me. I spent the day at the other clinic, called Majengo and we returned to Pumwani at the end of the day to pick up blood samples and staff, there I saw a confusing and shocking sight. Where there was once small independent kiosks selling food, services, etc, there was now rubble. I learned from the local staff that occasionally they City Council or Government will manually demolish such businesses, especially in the poor areas or slums to make sure the poor are not able to make money. How awful? These pictures show the people only hours after it happened, scavenging the rubble for their personal items and sorting the materials. I can't even wrap my head around such injustice a day later when I saw it again in the van. I am once again reminded of the differences in 1st and 3rd world countries.

No comments:

Post a Comment